NEWCOMERS USEFUL TIPS
If you are visiting Tanzania for the first time you should be aware of some practical information
VISA: Individual 30 days Tourist VISA can be obtained at the airport for 50US$ (cash or credit card). However, it is advisable to check prior to your journey at your nearest Tanzanian Embassy/Consulate or online, for conditions may differ according to citizenship.
COVID related restrictions have been lifted in accordance with the actual international health measures. Nonetheless it is always advisable to verify the MOH portal https://afyamsafiri.moh.go.tz/#/home
ENTRY VISA & PASSPORT CONTROL – (Visas can be delivered upon arrival)
o Fill up the immigration form (available before the passport control booth)
o Proceed to the passport control
o Proceed to the payment booth (50US$)
o Proceed to Immigration booth (with the payment receipt)
o Proceed to baggage claim
· ATMs and bureaux de change are available inside the terminal (T3).
· US$ bank notes issued before 1999 pose a real problem to be exchanged and may not be accepted.
HOW TO REACH MAFIA FROM DAR ES SALAAM
Mafia can be reached by air or sea (please refer to our newcomers’ tips hereinafter)
· By air: The flight duration is about 30 minutes. There are two operating domestic carriers. Tickets can be purchased online (rates substantially differ between Tanzanian nationals & residents and non-residents):
COASTAL https://coastal.co.tz/ AURIC https://www.auricair.com/en
A short car transfer is needed between the international terminal (T3) and the domestic Terminal (T1) that can be booked online with the flight operator.
· By land & sea Dar es Salaam-Nyamisati: All in all, this is a full-day trip and an exciting discovery with however a certain degree of unpredictability…which may affect your travel schedule!
o When starting your journey from Dar es Salaam’s Mbagala bus depot, you need a minimum of three-hour road journey by using the popular “daladala” buses (5,000.00TSh* per ticket; additional luggage charges may apply), with -sometimes- an intermediate stop & transfer at Bungu. Daladalas are usually crowded, you may therefore prefer a private car with a driver.
o There is only one daily ferry to and from Mafia
o The ferries leave from Nyamisati, a village on the Rufiji River banks.
o The sea journey to Mafia may take an additional three to four hours (15,000/20,000TSh* per passenger).
o The ferries are reasonably comfortable and the cruise is worth the adventure!
v You should prefer traveling light since moving around can prove somehow sporty!
NOTE: Having to to stay overnight at Nyamisati, may be troublesome to get a rom. Mrs. Salome’s hostel-type (mobile phone +255 782632154) is at walking distance from the ferry terminal; in case she doesn’t have any availability, she can be of help in finding a similar type of accommodation (average rate 15,000.00TSh*).
v No ATM machines. You are advised to always carry enough TSh with you!
*Fares are as of May 2023
ARRIVING AT MAFIA
· By air: Airport arrival procedures are quick and hassle-free.
· By ferry: Arrival may get confusing: passengers must wait on the pier and use the shuttles to exit the port premises up to the drop off point in Kilindoni (approximately 10 minutes ride).
MONEY: There are 2 banks with ATM machines located in Kilindoni, only
- Prefer VISA and MASTER cards
- Not all hotels accept credit cards
- All other payments are in cash in Tanzanian Shillings
MOVING AROUND: By boda-boda (motorcycle) or bajaj (tuk-tuk).
HEALTH: The local public hospital and pharmacies are poorly equipped. You can get simple medical treatment & advice at private dispensaries.
v No emergency night evacuation
DEPARTURE TIPS Return flights from Mafia are usually in the afternoon, giving you an extra time for a last sea dive or excursion! However, when booking your domestic return flight ensure that your international flight schedule allows the required terminal transfer & check-in time! At Dar es Salaam international airport ensure filling the Exit form available before the passport control booth.